Sunday, May 15, 2005

Everywhere you go, you always take the weather with you

It's been a while since the last post, for no real reason other than laziness. Not surprisingly, we made it safely to New Zealand, Bob skating through Australian immigration yet again. (I guess they're not running a real tight ship when it comes to linking unpaid parking tickets with tourist visas.)

Having only a week in lovely Middle Earth, we opted to spend all of our time in the 'Birthplace of New Zealand,' the Bay of Islands just 4 hours' drive north of Auckland. Unfortunately, as I now remember from my last visit, NZ is the land of package tours, with the type of party-hard travelers that invariably come along with them. In typical Mel-and-Bob fashion, though, we've managed to keep ourselves well entertained with the area's free activities, such as nature hikes and kayaking trips (we found a hostel that not only has free kayaks available for use but also an extensive DVD collection).

As fall is, well, falling in New Zealand, however, the weather has been predictably unpredictable. Halfway through our kayak trip yesterday to a nearby waterfall, the rain started to fall. It didn't stop for the rest of the day, which made the remainder of our water voyage rather unpleasant. The overcast weather has continued to today, effectively cancelling the one (1) sailing excursion we had booked. So it goes.

Our last days in Australia were a good time, with Miss Sophie Tyner proving to be a most excellent hostess, even inviting us to a Mother's Day/Birthday Party Extravaganza for a little family time (good for two people experiencing mild homesickness). We were also quite lucky to attend a lecture by the current international president of Doctors Without Borders, and to witness a near-catfight between two women on the train. Fantastic.

In the next few posts, readers should expect some fairly sickening entries rife with nostalgia and advice, e.g. 'What I learned on my travels and am now passing on to you.' It has to be done. If you tend to detest these types of pontifications, I suggest you take a week or so off from reading the blog.

Cheers!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oooh, I'm looking forward to this week's posts then! I always did love those schoolteacher-esque posters entitled "Everything I Need to Know I Learned From My Cat" or ". . . From The Kindergarten."

You know, I once aspired to be an inspirational speaker (I'm almost positive I shared this with you during our free periods, Mel) and I feel that reflective prose falls into the self-help genre. I just eat the stuff up. In fact, I just finished the book "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" written by Robert Kiyosaki--what insight and perspective into the power of financial intelligence!

Rest assured, you two, that you have at least one eager reader in your corner this week.

love,
DRA

3:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have but one request: BUY lots of avocado oil!
It is hard to find here in the states (though I have found it in Athens of all places). But your mother will love you for it. It only comes from "Middle Earth" as californians have not yet realized their avocado potential. Love it - makes great salad dressings and can be used anywhere you would otherwise use olive oil.
Sweet.
Okay, time to work. Oh the life of a pretend attorney.
Shipley

7:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was pretty on board with this "Shipley" character before he/she (it?) took a shot at my current state of choice. I have to believe that California has, in fact, realized its potential, and that "Shipley" has overlooked the source, or that the California Registry of Avocado Products has decided--for good reason, no doubt--not to share our precious oils with the rest of the country. In unrelated news, San Francisco is busily preparing for the imminent arrival of the World's Hottest Travelling Couple. I look forward to hearing your nostalgic pontifications in person.
-Kolsky

p.s. I spent a lot of time coming up with a fake government agency whose acronym is CRAP. Pretty awesome, right?

3:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home